Wednesday, 19 November 2008

There's plenty more fish in the sea

In the words of the song there are plenty more fish in the sea, although that is not the case according to the BBC this morning. I fear this may have been another example of unsubstantiated assertions by state backed environmental warriors without credible research to back it, they are after all so often wrong - on a laughable scale.

I don't know if it's the wholesale anthropomorphising of the animal world, or just plain stupidity on the part of these misguided individuals, such as witnessed in August this year where we went overnight from Gorillas being dangerously endangered to "discovering" a population of 125-250,000 Western Lowland Gorillas, but I wouldn't trust anything offered as fact by anybody who prefers other species to their own. The recent unexplained massive "magically" appearing shoals of Humboldt Squid off the western US is yet another example of the inability of the "animal lobby" (is that an offence?) to offer any credible reassurance that they know what they are talking about. And of course if they can't explain it they join their equally emotional brethren in the climate change lobby to blame everything on a 0.3-0.8 degree Celsius increase in average global temperatures over the last 100 years (yes that's it!) , without bothering to adorn the "increased global temperature perceived wisdom" with an actual credible explanation of the mechanism (blind faith methinks).

So on this occasion we feel sure, in our waters so to speak, that we have overfished the oceans, which cover 71% of this planet. Now given that land accounts for the remaining 29% (minus freshwater seas) and we can miss a minimum of 125,000 Gorillas in that remainder, our native environment, perhaps we should question just how sure are we that our estimated fish stock figures are accurate? Did DEFRA conduct a comprehensive census in the North Sea or the Atlantic Shelf, and just how would you do that, exactly?

Really, how can we trust figures backed up by anecdotal evidence?

I don't.

My other half did point out that perhaps if the 125,000 Gorillas were standing in a straight line when Dian Fossey and Sigourney Weaver walked by with their clipboards...

1 comment:

  1. For a more in depth analysis on the warming theory see this informative posting here. Of course the environmental groups will no longer even enter into a discussion on the subject?!!!

    ReplyDelete