Sunday, 18 January 2009

A thought for the day...

I may not have mentioned it before, but I do actually have a life. You know the sort of thing; lie in bed reading until I start to feel guilty about the waste of the best part of the day, going out at night to consume liver shrinking volumes of plonk and generally putting the world to rights by disagreeing violently with any loosely held assertion that emanates from the ill informed around me.

Strangely though the invitations are few and far between these days...

But enough introspection

My other great passions are; music, reading anything with a typeface on it - from packaging to weighty tomes, debating the futility of it all with friends and exploring the world around me - as I try to understand it just a little better.

This may not come as a shock to most folks who know me - but it is my dearly held opinion that television is the single reason for the unprecedented infantilisation and general dumbing down of society we see around us. I have tried it, and I just don't get it - 99% of the hundreds of channels broadcast to our moron boxes appear to consist of, literally, nothing. Marx (Karl not Groucho) once reflected that religion is the opiate of the people, but television's influence is better summed up in Marquis de Sade's Juliette, published in 1797 - a couple of years before John Logie Baird stumbled upon his technological "opiate of the people", I would like to share it with you -
Though nature lavishes much upon your people, their circumstances are strait. But this is not the effect of their laziness; this general paralysis has its source in your policy which, from maintaining the people in dependence, shuts them out from wealth; their ills are thus rendered beyond remedy, and the political state is in a situation no less grave than the civil government, since it must seek its strength in its very weakness. Your apprehension, Ferdinand, lest someone discover the things I have been telling you leads you to exile arts and talents from your realm. You fear the powerful eye of genius, that is why you encourage ignorance. Tis opium you feed your people, so that, drugged, they do not feel their hurts, inflicted by you. And that is why where you reign no establishments are to be found giving great men to the homeland; the rewards due knowledge are unknown here, and as there is neither honour nor profit in being wise, nobody seeks after wisdom.
Do not doubt for one second that society's dependence on television suits our politicians - we watch shit whilst they steal our hard won liberty and money.
Billions of people just living out their lives... oblivious
Now, it's Sunday morning, there's not a cloud in the sky - get up off your arse, switch off your moron-box and do something worthwhile before your existence passes you by. If you don't your next moment of sentience may be a flicker of realisation, through the fog of dementia, that you are in a nursing home babbling nonsense, pissing into a bag whilst your dearly beloved family squabble over the home entertainment centre.

Now where are my walking boots?


Breaking News: Series Of Concentric Circles Emanating From Glowing Red Dot

5 comments:

  1. My subconscious read. "Now where are my walking sticks" and then my eyes took control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - looking forward to a deluxe zimmer, but not for a couple of years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry for you obviously you do not have sky+..I am now able to watch Battlestar Galactica when I want.

    Did Take Taz for a walk along the beach see the waves feel the sand and the wind blowing in my face...

    and then it became dogyopolis when all the other Mutts turned up taking their owners for a walk.

    Gotta time it right..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have penchant for good movies and some sci-fi, and I do choose to consume those - would be happy to veg in front of BSG for a few hours... No Sky though.

    I'm just going to post the pics from my meander along the East Lothian coast today, the only folks I met were dog walkers - who were desperately trying to stop their beloved mutts from blowing away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rant was inspired by a visit to my friends last night. I meet some of her friends whose only points of reference on any subject was TV inspired 'popular culture' (an oxymoron if ever there was one) - very tiresome. That and an editor I once worked with who berated me for being unaware of any soap operas.

    ReplyDelete