You may have seen the Internet hoax email regarding our MPs; the one claiming unbelievable figures for bad behaviour such as spouse abuse and drink driving- unbelievable because it was just that - fiction. A similar email had previously circulated regarding the US and various European elected representatives.
So I thought, why not try to investigate the figures, the real figures on some of the most unbelievable statistics on our honourable representatives who pontificate long and hard over our bad behaviour, and who miss no opportunity to remind us how lucky we are to be subjects of this democracy when it suits them.
So in the style of the original message:
Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 640 employees and has the following employee statistics?There was some truth in that original hoax after all...
And finally to paraphrase the hoax email that inspired me:
- 521 of them are men
- The lowest paid employee earns £63,291, plus expenses - The highest paid earns £194,250 and 9 of them benefit from the use of some of the classiest homes in the UK on a grace-and-favour basis
- All employees benefit from a final salary pension scheme with a current accrual rate of 1/40th. It is a contributory pension with the contribution rate set at 10 per cent of salary. The pension is paid in full irrespective of length of service
- 11 have been imprisoned since 1989 [FOI request 2009]
- 6 more have been arrested for various offences [media meta-analysis]
- More than 20 have been involved in serious allegations regarding expenses claims, but they have en-masse vetoed moves towards tightening up of rules or increased scrutiny of their expenses claims, which average in excess of £100,000 per annum - yes each! [media meta-analysis]
- Only one has managed a 100% attendance record (Dennis 'the beast' Skinner), the average attendance since 1997 for all employees is around 65% [figures from Public Whip project, based on voting - there is no other available measure for attendance]
It's the 646 members of the House of Commons, the same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us inline.
What a bunch of bastards we have running our country - it says it all. And just to top all that they probably have the best 'corporate' pension scheme in the country!!
If you agree that this is an appalling state of affairs, please pass it on to everyone you know. It's time to stand up to this lot !