Friday, 13 March 2009

Competition time...

I've just booked my car in for an MOT, and as usual was left feeling somewhat patronised by the 5 foot Lynx perfumed spanner monkey, age 10, in dirty overalls who sucked his teeth when I told him the type of car I own, observing "we don't see many of those, and the parts urny cheap missus". I only want an MOT?

So I've decided to have a little competition, what do you think I'll be charged for an MOT on a well looked after 2004, low mileage Subaru Impreza? The closest guess wins the mechanics obviously unused bollocks, or some Lynx...

Was reminded of a classic Viz moment:
June Spears taken for a £6,322 ride by her local garage.

The largest bill for fictitious work carried out on a woman's car by garage mechanics was one of £6,322.88 charged by Joskin Bros Motors Ltd. of Stevenage, Herts. (GB). Calling in for a routine service on her one-year-old Peugeot 305, Mrs. June Spears agreed to pay for, amongst other things, new trumpets (£725), cracked gangle pin (£1,785), realignment of main glib shaft (£2,268), new grommets (£112), set of hexagonal tag nuts and dangleberry adapter (£35) and new piss-take valves (£120). No work was actually carried out on the car during the six weeks that it spent at the garage but 4000 miles were put on the clock and she later received a speeding summons from Italian police.

5 comments:

  1. Should just be the basic MOT charge polaris, isn't that £55 or something? I can't be bothered digging in the files to find my last bill.

    I suppose I should really because the MOT certificate will be there too.Auch what the hell, tax isn't due for another 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should be £50.35 max 2004 motor without any work needed.
    Perhaps a pre-mot might of told you more. Although the age of car suggests unlikely to have probs unless high mileage.


    http://www.begim.com/ext/funvideos/lynx-perfume-funny-ad.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mr Mxy and Subrosa, I've never had the minimum charge in an MOT - I think they see me coming - "look it's a wummin way a decent car, let's see what we can get oot ay her".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having recovered from my extreme hissy fit of envy - I just love Subarus of any sort - & having had a couple of Subarus, I'd guess either £176 or £207.
    I'm curious to see what they do charge you.

    ReplyDelete