Friday, 27 November 2009

Happy Birthday Rap

This is the first rap song I ever heard, in fact the first rap track anybody living outside of the Bronx had heard. Rapper's Delight was a hit in the UK and US, and is now 30 years young...

It wasn't just rap the Sugarhill Gang started, the song is acknowledged as the first commercial hit to sample; a loop from the awesome disco act Chic's "Good Times" is the backbone of this track. The group are still gigging - I wonder if the Sugarhill Gang knew what they were starting all those years ago? 'njoy...

8 comments:

  1. That's kinda funky. I always thought of these guys as the first rappers:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5W_3T2Ye4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't rap just the kiddie version? From Karouak to Fiddy Cents in two generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some rap is just that, but there is some seriously well written stuff - outside my usual taste but it works nevertheless

    Music is about emotion, there is nae right ur wrong - just what rings your bell ya snob ;D

    You'd be as well arguin' over which colour is best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange. No doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polaris - Call me Philistine. I can't get my head into the "Gangsta" scene. I know Hip Hop is reputed to be the voice of the inner city disenfranchised under-class, but all I see is bling bestrewn morons emoting in ebonics to middle class white teenyboppers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parvenues the lot, Rap was invented by Benny Hill; Ernie, The Fastest Milkman In The West.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @banned - of course it was, and Benny wasn't a parvenue was he?

    LOL

    ReplyDelete