I chose the word consumers after much consideration, the result of my long term search for the correct description of the residents of the UK; we aren't citizens, we are no longer technically subjects under a powerless crown - consumers has the right feel.
Gentle readers please forgive me for this self indulgence, misomania grips my black soul today - I hate everything about this miserable country; our dumbed down, celebrity centric, joyless, weather obsessed, unrepresentative democracy, anti-science and technology, PC placatory society is doomed I fear.
This is not only the opinion of a slightly depressed and disillusioned blogger, well it may be, indulge me further - consider if you will, the evidence;
- We have one political party with two leaders, New Labour or Conservative - what's the choice? A new portrait on the staircase wall of 10 Downing Street the only sign of change
- We enjoy debts that will cripple our economy for decades, and we do enjoy it - whether we are complaining (a national pastime, which I also enjoy), spending on the never-never or watching the value of our homes increase - patting ourselves on our backs for our financial prowess, but secretly wondering if it really is down to us?
- Our education system is a nonsensical jumble of politically correct, but academically incorrect, training
- We hate our children, well technically everybody else's kids
- More people are members of the RSPB than political parties, birds - yes feathered, and mainly flying, dinosaur descendants are of more import than political process and a desire to seek change by influence from within - FFS
- Our political classes are out and out career criminals, with the remorse instincts of Kubla Khan
- Manufacturing industry is now restricted to the manufacture of components for the construction of new supermarkets and retail units in which we sell foreign manufactured goods to each other, units in which we regularly congregate to worship at the feet of the gods of Avarice and Arrerage
- The "great British" press, mainstream and broadcast media stuff our gullets with an unending diet of trivial mind numbing shit then pillory us for indulging in reactionary protest, negativity or leaning too heavily on the drug of our choice in a vain attempt to blank out the pain
- We know the price of nothing and the value of nothing
- We wage war against anybody who does not believe that their country would not benefit from all of the above
So much for my new year optimism - 5 days in and I'm yet again considering emigration or revolution - oh well, mustn't grumble...
EDIT: So I am not alone in my new year blues after all, and the Devil believes he has an answer